D2D2T vs. Online Server Backup: Cost, Complexity and Capabilities
An epic server backup battle is being waged right now in IT shops at small and medium-sized businesses all over the world. The battle is really just the choice between tapes, disks, D2D2T, and online server backup (which includes many sub-battles like appliance-based vs. no appliance & consumer vs. enterprise grade).
Disk-to-Tape (D2T) has been the backup approach/medium of choice for a long time. However, tape isn’t a good match for disaster recovery. And, as the amount of data involved scaled — backup times have begun regularly exceeding their available windows.
If you’re using Disk-To-Tape as your backup solution, and are looking to improve it by moving to Disk-To-Disk-To-Tape (D2D2T), consider for a moment an argument for online server backup – you might just end up changing sides.
Disk-to-Disk-To-Tape (D2D2T) helped address many of D2T’s limits, and offered a more responsive local solution for restores. But D2D2T has its own limits and issues:
• It isn’t a good fit for disaster recovery in the event of a natural disaster (Or theft, or fire).
• It doesn’t offer an easy way to minimize WAN and remote storage costs.
• Interposing a disk device between primary storage and tape adds complexity, with more devices to manage, and things to break.
• Going from D2D2T adds more cost, both in CapEx and OpEx. While it might offer some savings versus D2T, it still raises the total cost of backup.
Online Server Backup: A Better Backup Solution
Zetta’s 3-in-1 online server backup offers a solution that meets small business’ needs for simplicity, affordability, and scalability:
• No additional on-site hardware – no new servers, no storage, no data center space, power or cooling.
• Simple pricing. No start-up or initialization fees, no license fees for the backup agent — you pay only for how much data you’re protecting.
• Minimal WAN usage – once the initial full backup has been “seeded,” all Zetta sends are sub-file level changes.
• Instant disaster recovery. No tapes to find, fetch or mount. Your files are there, looking just like a replica of your local system – because they are a replica of your local file system.
• Quick and easy to get started. Again: no local hardware, and you can start with a free trial using an unlimited number of endpoints and data.
• No more security, management of local or in-transit media. Stop worrying about securely transporting and storing tapes or hard drives.
Hey, tape was great — in its day. And disks are great for server backup, disaster recovery, and archiving – but that doesn’t mean you should be buying and managing them. Especially when a legion of superheroes like Zetta is standing by to do it for you.
Learn more about Zetta’s disaster recovery solution or request custom pricing.